Ulpan: Intensive Hebrew Language
Hebrew College’s online Ulpan, an integral part of Hebrew College’s Community Learning programs, teaches students from all levels to master conversational Hebrew through the lens of Israeli culture. Hebrew College also offers Graduate Level Hebrew courses through the Rabbinical School.
- time Adults & college students (non-credit only)
- location Online
- duration Semester (fall, spring, summer)
Ulpan Classes and Registration
Summer 2023 Classes
Please register using the registration links below. Please register by May 30, 2023.
|Course name||Instructor||Location||Dates||Time||Cost||Registration Link|
|Ulpan Level 1A morning||Osnat Hazan||Zoom||June 7 – 30||Wednesday & Friday, 9:30-11 a.m.||$350||Register|
|Ulpan Level 1A evening||Shulamit Ben David||Zoom||July 11-Aug. 3||Tuesday & Thursday, 6:30-8 p.m.||$350||Register|
|Ulpan Level 1B||Adva Alpert||Zoom||June 5-28||Monday & Wednesday, 7-8:30 p.m.||$350|| Register
|Ulpan Level 2A||Shlomi Zan||Zoom||June 1-22||Thursday, 6:30-8:30 p.m.||$235|| Register
|Ulpan Level 2B||Maya Dalzell||Zoom||June 6-Aug. 1||Tuesday & Thursday, 9:30-11 a.m.||$450||Register|
|Ulpan Level 3B||Maya Dalzell||Zoom||June 6-Aug. 1||Tuesday & Thursday, 11:30 a.m.-1 p.m.||$450||Register|
|Ulpan Level 3B morning||Maya Dalzell||Zoom||June 5-July 31||Monday & Wednesday, 9:30-11 a.m.||$450|| Register
|Ulpan Level 4A||Shlomi Zan||Zoom||May 31-June 26||Monday & Wednesday,7-8:30 p.m.||$350||Register|
|Ulpan Level 4B||Maya Dalzell||Zoom||June 5-July 31||Monday & Wednesday, 5-6:30 p.m.||$450|| Register
|Ulpan Level 5A||Osnat Hazan||Zoom||June 6-27||Tuesday & Thursday, 9:30-11 a.m.||$350||Register|
|Ulpan Level 6||Maya Dalzell||Zoom||June 5-31||Monday & Wednesday, 11:30am-1:00pm||$450|| Register
|Ulpan Level 7||Maya Dalzell||Zoom||June 6-Aug. 1||Tuesday & Thursday, 4:00 -5:30 p.m.||$450||Register|
|Ulpan Level 9A||Aliza Brosh||Zoom||June 1-27||Tuesday & Thursday, 8:30-10 a.m.||$350|| Register
|Ulpan Level 9B||Aliza Brosh||Zoom||June 2-26||Monday & Friday, 8:30-10 a.m.||$350|| Register
We are delighted that you are interested in studying with Hebrew College’s Adult Learning program and look forward to your joining our learning community. Guided by our commitment to the values of derekh eretz (ethical living),shmirat halashon (guarding of language), and kavod habri’ot (respect of all people), we expect Hebrew College Adult Learning students to participate in our classes in a respectful manner, and be mindful of the time and learning needs of other students and instructors during in-person and remote learning.
Class Cancellations and Refunds
All cancellations prior to the start of a Hebrew College Adult Learning class will be refunded in full, less a credit card fee of 4%, if applicable. You can avoid the credit card fee by paying for your class with a check, made out to Hebrew College, with the class name in the subject line. After the first class, a $50 administrative fee will be deducted from the class fee, in addition to the credit card fee of 4%. For extenuating circumstances, including requests for withdrawal after the second class, please contact Iris Schor, Director, Ulpan and Hebrew Language at email@example.com . Credit card fees apply to all transactions, regardless of the time of withdrawal.
Find Your Ulpan Level
We offer courses at beginner, intermediate, and advanced levels. Class placement is based on written and/or oral evaluation. Please contact Iris Schor, Director of Ulpan and Hebrew Language, to determine which level is right for you.
Beginner (Levels 1A to 3B)
Designed for those with little or no prior knowledge of Hebrew. Classes are taught almost entirely in Hebrew, and students are encouraged and expected to speak the language in class. Vocabulary consists of about 250 new words each semester.
What You’ll Learn
- To read and write both block and script letters
- Foundations of grammar, such as masculine and feminine, the definite article and the basic structure of Hebrew sentences
- To use basic forms of present tense, past tense and infinitives
- To have simple conversation using familiar vocabulary and basic grammar
Intermediate (Levels 4 to 7)
Designed for students with moderate ability to express themselves by writing and speaking Hebrew. You’ll listen to stories and recorded dialogues, watch videos, participate in open conversations and write short expository passages.
What You’ll Learn
- Continue to develop reading fluency and comprehension skills through a variety of materials (textbook, news papers articles, short stories)
- Strengthen and develop writing skills using a variety of writing forms
- To use more advanced grammatical forms and structures such as future and imperative tenses as well as compound and complex sentences
- Expand vocabulary knowledge and ability to conduct a short conversation in Hebrew
Advanced (Levels 8 to 10)
Designed for students with a high level of language skills and ability to express themselves by writing and speaking Hebrew. The course is structured to accommodate a wide range of student interests. You’ll carry on conversations taken from daily life, read texts dealing with cultural and historical topics and explore original literature.
What You’ll Learn
- Read a variety of literary and expository texts on various topics through and Israeli culture lens and discuss these texts in depth
- Introduction to different sources of modern Israeli media such as radio, television, films, newspapers and magazines.
- Expand and develop writing and speaking skills through various exercises and in depth analysis of these texts and media sources
- Continue to develop advanced grammatical concepts and rules and expand vocabulary knowledge