Ulpan: Intensive Hebrew Language
Hebrew College’s Ulpan, an integral part of Hebrew College’s Community Learning programs, teaches students from all levels to master conversational Hebrew through the lens of Israeli culture. Hebrew College also offers Graduate Level Hebrew courses through the Rabbinical School.
UPDATE: Due to the coronavirus pandemic, all Hebrew College Community Learning classes are now being offered online via Zoom.
- time Adults & college students (non-credit only)
- location Hebrew College Campus
- duration Semester (fall, spring, summer)
Ulpan Classes and Registration
Ulpan fall 2021 registration is now open.
Please register by September 24, 2021.
Please complete the registration form including the payment section. We have recently moved to a new online payment system. If you encounter any problems, including not receiving a registration confirmation via email for your class, please email us. Please log out of the system and refresh your history once you have paid for your class, even if you are registering for more than one class or for a second person in the same household. Please note that we only accept payment via credit card or e-check, and both are subject to a 4 percent administrative fee.
Please email us if you have any questions.
|Course Name||Instructor||Location||Start Date||End Date||Time||Cost||Register|
|Ulpan Level 1A||TBD||Zoom||October 5||December 23||Tuesday and Thursday, 11:30 a.m.-1 p.m.||$750||Register|
|Ulpan Level 1A evening||TBD||Zoom||October 3||December 23||Thursday and Sunday, 6:30-8 p.m.||$750||Register|
|Ulpan Level 1B morning||Maya Dalzell||Zoom||October 5||December 23||Tuesday and Thursday, 9:30-11 a.m.||$750||Register
|Ulpan Level 1B evening||Sarah Hochfeld||Zoom||October 5||December 23||Tuesday and Thursday, 6:30-8 p.m.||$750||Register
|Ulpan Level 2A||Maya Dalzell||Zoom||October 5||December 23||Tuesday and Thursday, 11:30 a.m.-1 p.m.||$750||Register
|Ulpan Level 2B||Maya Dalzell||Zoom||October 4||December 22||Monday and Wednesday, 5-6:30 p.m.||$750||Register|
|Ulpan Level 2B evening||Shlomi Zan||Zoom||October 3||December 19||Sunday, 6:30-8:30 p.m.||$635||Register
|Ulpan Level 2C morning||Maya Dalzell||Zoom||October 4||December 22||Monday and Wednesday, 9:30-11 a.m.||$750||Register
|Ulpan Level 2C evening||Shlomi Zan||Zoom||October 4||December 22||Monday and Wednesday, 6:30-8 p.m.||$750||Register
|Ulpan Level 3B morning||Osnat Hazan||Zoom||October 5||December 23||Tuesday and Thursday, 9:30-11 a.m.||$750||Register
|Ulpan Level 4A morning||Osnat Hazan||Zoom||October 6||December 24||Wednesday and Friday, 9:30-11 a.m.||$750||Register
|Ulpan Level 4A||Maya Dalzell||Zoom||October 4||December 22||Mondays and Wednesday, 3-4:30 p.m.||$750||Register|
|Ulpan Level 5A||Maya Dalzell||Zoom||October 4||December 22||Monday and Wednesday, 11:30am-1 p.m.||$750||Register|
|Ulpan Level 7||Maya Dalzell||Zoom||October 5||December 23||Tuesday and Thursday, 5-6:30 p.m.||$750||Register|
|Ulpan Level 8||TBD||Zoom||October 5||December 23||Tuesday and Thursday, 6:30-8 p.m.||$750||Register|
|Ulpan Level 9||Aliza Brosh||Zoom||October 4||December 24||Monday and Friday, 8:30-10 a.m.||$750||Register|
|Ulpan Level 10||Aliza Brosh||Zoom||October 6||December 24||Wednesday and Friday, 10-11 a.m.||$635||Register|
Find Your Ulpan Level
We offer courses at beginner, intermediate, and advanced levels. Class placement is based on written and/or oral evaluation. Please contact Iris Schor, Director of Ulpan and Hebrew Language, to determine which level is right for you.
Designed for those with little or no prior knowledge of Hebrew. Classes are taught almost entirely in Hebrew, and students are encouraged and expected to speak the language in class. Vocabulary consists of about 250 new words each semester.
What You’ll Learn
- To read and write both block and script letters
- Foundations of grammar, such as masculine and feminine, the definite article and the basic structure of Hebrew sentences
- To use basic forms of present tense, past tense and infinitives
- To have simple conversation using familiar vocabulary and basic grammar
Designed for students with moderate ability to express themselves by writing and speaking Hebrew. You’ll listen to stories and recorded dialogues, watch videos, participate in open conversations and write short expository passages.
What You’ll Learn
- Continue to develop reading fluency and comprehension skills through a variety of materials (textbook, news papers articles, short stories)
- Strengthen and develop writing skills using a variety of writing forms
- To use more advanced grammatical forms and structures such as future and imperative tenses as well as compound and complex sentences
- Expand vocabulary knowledge and ability to conduct a short conversation in Hebrew
Designed for students with a high level of language skills and ability to express themselves by writing and speaking Hebrew. The course is structured to accommodate a wide range of student interests. You’ll carry on conversations taken from daily life, read texts dealing with cultural and historical topics and explore original literature.
What You’ll Learn
- Read a variety of literary and expository texts on various topics through and Israeli culture lens and discuss these texts in depth
- Introduction to different sources of modern Israeli media such as radio, television, films, newspapers and magazines.
- Expand and develop writing and speaking skills through various exercises and in depth analysis of these texts and media sources
- Continue to develop advanced grammatical concepts and rules and expand vocabulary knowledge