Join Me’ah instructor Dr. David Bernat on a trip to Israel! “The Synagogue Then and Now: Israel Experience and Unity Mission”
Cosponsored by the Synagogue Council of MA, Keshet Educational Journeys, and Hebrew College
This trip is an ideal experiential complement to the Me’ah Classic curriculum, as well as to the substance of many Me’ah Select and Eser offerings.
- Take an immersive historical approach to the topics of “Peoplehood and Pluralism,” from antiquity to modernity.
- Visit the earliest physical centers of assembly and religious practice for the emerging Israelite and Jewish communities — shrines, temples, mikvaot, and the first synagogues.
- In these contexts, study texts at, and appropriate to, the various locations.
- Bring a modern lens to the same questions, with visits to innovative congregations, and cutting edge urban Kibbutzim.
- Meet with leadership from institutions such as Oranim Educational College, The Taub Center for Social Policy Studies, and The Weizmann Institute of Science.
- Connect in-depth with Boston-Haifa partners.
- Take advantage of the top notch wine and food scene of Israel, practice yoga in the sun, and run the hills of Jerusalem and the banks of the Jordan.
David Bernat is the Executive Director of the Synagogue Council of MA and a sought after Me’ah faculty member since 1998. David is an experienced guide, having planned and led our original Me’ah Israel trips from 2004-2007, along with teen and college trips to Israel and Nicaragua. He has a Ph.D. in Biblical Studies from Brandeis with publications in the areas of ancient Jewish ritual, especially circumcision, and the rhetoric of violence in Jewish tradition. Bernat is also a wine buff and avid outdoors-man who has completed two Boston Marathons and has an obstacle course racing team name The SavaJews.
Dudu Cohen is a veteran and master guide with a PhD in Biblical Archaeology from Hebrew University, and expertise in the geography of ancient Israel and the Levant. Among many achievements, he discovered a Roman road and was featured in Bruce Feiler’s book and PBS special “Walking the Bible.” Dudu and David co-led two Me’ah tours and have collaborated on other scholarly and travel endeavors.
The trip is managed by Keshet Educational Journeys, the premier provider of Israel tours with an educational focus. Among many examples, Keshet facilitates the Gann Academy Israel experience, and the Hebrew College Educators’ tour.