Alumni & Career Placement:
Become a Cantor
A Foundation For Success
Graduates of the Cantorial Program are ideally positioned for success in spiritual leadership. Our alumni are highly sought after by congregations of all denominations, and serve as cantors, educators, music directors, hospital chaplains, organizational innovators, and as the main spiritual leaders in affiliated and independent congregations and institutions across the country.
At Hebrew College, you are not alone in your job search. Our Director of Professional Placement works with students and graduates to help them prepare for and find the cantorial positions that are right for them.
Individualized Placement Support
Our faculty will provide you with highly individualized support during your job search to enable you to find the right opportunity.
Our faculty, along with other professionals with whom we work, help with drafting resumes and cover letters, preparing for interviews and negotiating contracts.
We continue to provide these job-placement resources to alumni of the Cantorial Program.
Students who become ordained through the Cantorial Program are eligible for membership in both the Cantors Assembly and the American Conference of Cantors. These memberships in the largest professional cantorial associations give graduates access to the leading cantorial placement services. All of our graduates have found meaningful employment in full-time and part-time positions in pluralistic and affiliated communities.
Jewish Communal Leadership
- Julie Newman ’17, Executive Director, Tiferet, Wexford, PA; Faculty, Temple Ohav Shalom, Allison Park, PA
- Jenn Boyle ’20, Shorashim Afterschool Program Director, Beth Am Israel, Penn Valley, PA
- Lisa Kipen-Hershenson ’14, Director of Education, Congregation Beth Shalom of the Blue Hills, Milton, MA
- Marcie Jonas ’10, B’nai Mitzvah Tutor, Temple Beth Elohim, Wellesley, MA and Temple Israel, Boston, MA
- Linda Sue Sohn ’11, B’nei Mitzvah Tutor, Temple Aliyah, Needham, MA and Congregation Shalom, Chelmsford, MA
- Lynn Torgove ’12, Director of Cantorial Program, Hebrew College, Newton Centre, MA
- Nancy Sargon ’08, Jewish Chaplain, Spaulding Rehab Network, Cambridge, MA
- Elise Barber ’11, Cantor, Temple Beth El, Springfield, MA
- Aliza Berger ’17, Rav Hazzan, Temple Emanuel, Newton, MA
- Melanie Blatt ’18, Cantor Educator & Director of Community Engagement, Beth El Congregation, Baltimore, MD
- Sarah Bolts ’16, Associate Hazzan, B’nai Israel Congregation, Rockville, MD
- DJ Fortine ’22, Cantor, Temple Beth Shalom of Needham, Needham, MA
- Maayan Harel ’19, Cantor, Temple Beth David of the South Shore, Canton, MA
- Idan Irelander ’09, Rabbi Cantor, Congregation Ahavat Olam, North Andover, MA
- Becky Khitrik ’14, Cantor, Temple Sinai of Sharon, Sharon, MA
- Hinda Labovitz ’14, Cantor, Ohr Kodesh Congregation, Chevy Chase, MD
- Kevin Margolius ’13, Cantor, Touro Synagogue, New Orleans, LA
- Michael McCloskey ’07, Cantor Educator, Temple Emeth, Chestnut Hill, MA
- Monica O’Desky ’18, Cantor, Temple Rodef Sholom, Waco, TX
- Shana Onigman ’07, Cantor, Morristown Jewish Center Beit Yisrael, Morristown, NJ
- Jeri Robins ’13, Cantor, Beth El Temple Center, Belmont, MA
- Dara Rosenblatt ’18, Cantor, Temple Beth-El, Richmond, VA
- Jana Schachter ’21, Director of Religious Services, Lions Gate Senior Living Center, Voorhees, NJ
- Henry Shapiro ’12, Cantor, Parkway Jewish Center, Pittsburgh, PA
- Wendy Siegel ’13, Cantor Spiritual Leader, Temple Emanuel, Marlborough, MA
- Jessica Woolf Silverberg ’21, Interim Cantor, Har Zion Temple, Penn Valley, PA
- Kimberley Singer ’09, Cantor, Temple Shir Shalom, Oviedo, FL
- Rachel Slusky ’20, Cantor & Director of Education, Temple Beth Torah, Wellington, FL
- Marc Stober ’21, Assistant Cantor Education Director, Temple Israel of Manchester, Manchester, NH
- Sarra Spierrer ’07, Cantor, Congregation Beth Elohim, Acton, MA
- Risa Wallach ’15, Cantor, Temple Beth-El, Hillsborough, NJ
- David Wolff ’20, Cantor & Lower School Education Director, Temple Beth Am, Framingham, MA
Cantor Vera Broekhuysen, Can`16, Spiritual Leader of Temple Emanu-El in Haverhill, MA prepares for High Holidays accompanied by her son.
Meet Our Alumni
Cantorial Program: January 15
Rabbi Gita Karasov `20
Director of Admissions & Student Life