- Can I participate as a single parent?
- Can I participate if I am not Jewish?
- Can my partner participate with me if s/he is not Jewish?
- Do I need any Jewish/ education background or knowledge of Hebrew?
- When does the program begin?
- What does the curriculum cover?
- How many sessions are there in the program?
- How long are the sessions?
- What if I have to miss a session?
- Do the classes break for school and other holidays?
- Do I have to be a synagogue member to sign up at a synagogue site?
- Who will my instructor be?
- Is there homework?
- How old are the participants' kids?
- Is there babysitting available?
- Who are the childcare providers?
- Is there any instruction for the children?
- Can I use the childcare for only some of the sessions?
Are there scholarships available?
Yes. Simple email Elisha with any scholarship requests.
Can my partner participate with me if s/he is not Jewish?
Yes, interfaith couples find this course affords them a common vocabulary and helps them to think about their own, and their family's values together.
What does the curriculum cover?
Class sessions fall into four areas of human relationship: between oneself and others (Outward Bound), with oneself (Inward Bound), with questions of ultimate meaning (Upward Bound) and between being a Jew and being a citizen of the larger world (Homeward Bound). Topics within these realms include: How can I help my child identify a good path? How can I help my family through dark times? How do I talk to my child about God? What is my relationship to a homeland and a people?
Who will my instructor be?
We have a wonderful faculty of local educators. You can read their bios on our website. Faculty assignments are made over the summer.
Is there any instruction for the children?
Children are entertained while their parents are in class; they are furnished with age appropriate toys and books, and they engage in activities offered by the Parents in a Pinch childcare providers.
Can I use the childcare for only some of the sessions?
Yes, but you must pre-register your children with Elisha Gechter and let her know the dates you plan on using childcare. It is not a drop-in service.